Toronto symbol L, is Canada's largest grocery store operator, with over 1,000 stores.
Loblaw continues to cut costs and streamline its supply chain and computer systems. That’s helping it continue to prosper in Canada’s intensely competitive grocery business. At the same time, it’s adding new products and services that will further boost sales and profits.
LOBLAW COMPANIES $37 (Toronto symbol L; Shares outstanding: 289.9 million; Market cap: $10.7 billion; TSINetwork Rating: Above Average; Dividend …read more »
Loblaw and Metro continue to face strong competition from larger retailers, like Wal-Mart, which are expanding their grocery sales. However, both companies have improved their prospects by launching attractive new products and expanding into profitable niche markets.
LOBLAW COMPANIES LTD. $39 (Toronto symbol L; Conservative Growth Portfolio, Consumer sector; Shares outstanding: 282.3 million; Market cap: $11.0 billion; Price-to-sales ratio: 0.4; Dividend …read more »
LOBLAW COMPANIES $38.50 (Toronto symbol L; Shares outstanding: 298.5 million; Market cap: $11.5 billion; TSINetwork Rating: Above Average; Dividend yield: 2.2%; www.loblaw.ca) started selling mobile phones and prepaid plans under the President’s Choice Mobile brand in 2005. It sells these products through self-serve kiosks in about half of its 1,000 supermarkets.
Loblaw now plans to open full-service mobile phone shops in …read more »
BANK OF NOVA SCOTIA $51.74 (Toronto symbol BNS: Shares outstanding: 1.1 billion; Market cap: $55.5 billion; TSINetwork Rating: Above Average; Div. yield: 4.0%, www.scotiabank.com) continues to build up its operations in China. The bank recently agreed to buy 19.99% of the Bank of Guangzhou; the Chinese government owns the remaining 80.01%. This bank is the 29th largest in China, with …read more »
Loblaw Companies Ltd., Toronto symbol L, continues to expand its private-label business. That’s because the company earns higher profits selling private-label merchandise than national brands.
In October 2011, Loblaw is launching a new line of gourmet foods under the President’s Choice Black Label brand. These foods include mustards, condiments, dressings and sauces, biscuits, crackers, nuts and desserts. Products like these should …read more »
LOBLAW COMPANIES $36 (Toronto symbol L; Conservative Growth Portfolio, Consumer sector; Shares outstanding: 282.2 million; Market cap: $11.0 billion; Price-to-sales ratio: 1.0; Dividend yield: 2.1%; TSINetwork Rating: Above Average; www.loblaw.ca) has opened five stand-alone Joe Fresh casual-clothing stores since October 2010. It plans to open five more stores by the end of 2011. It eventually wants to expand the chain …read more »
LOBLAW COMPANIES $36.84 (Toronto symbol L; Shares outstanding: 277.9 million; Market cap: $10.4 billion; TSINetwork Rating: Above Average; Dividend yield: 2.3%; www.loblaw.ca) continues to face strong price competition from other grocery chains and general retailers, such as Wal-Mart, which continue to expand their food offerings.
As a result, Loblaw’s revenue rose just 0.1% in the three months ended June 18, 2011, …read more »
Loblaw and Metro have cut their costs and upgraded their inventory-management systems. The resulting savings are helping increase their profits, even with higher food costs and rising competition. Loblaw has a higher p/e ratio than Metro, but that reflects its wider geographic reach and expansion into non-food businesses, like clothing. Metro’s subordinate-voting shares also weigh on its p/e.
LOBLAW COMPANIES …read more »
Every Wednesday, we publish our “Investor Toolkit” series on TSI Network. Whether you’re a beginning or experienced investor, these weekly updates are designed to give you specific advice on how to make winning stock picks. Each Investor Toolkit update gives you a fundamental piece of investing strategy, and shows you how you can put it into practice right away.
Today’s …read more »
TORSTAR CORP. $12.35 (Toronto symbol TS.B; Shares outstanding: 78.9 million; Market cap: $974.4 billion; TSINetwork Rating: Above Average; Dividend yield: 2.7%; target=”_blank”>www.torstar.com) continues to expand its Internet businesses. That’s helping it offset slowing advertising and circulation revenue at its newspapers. However, these investments cut its earnings by 7.0% in the three months ended March 31, 2011, to $15.4 …read more »