PEYTO EXPLORATION & DEVELOPMENT CORP. $28.10 (Toronto symbol PEY; Shares outstanding: 148.5 million; Market cap: $4.2 billion; TSINetwork Rating: Extra Risk; Dividend yield: 3.4%; www.peyto.com) produces and explores for oil and natural gas in Alberta. Its average daily production of 58,145 barrels of oil equivalent is 89% gas and 11% oil. In the three months ended June 30, 2013, the …read more »
Imperial Oil aims to double its production, to 600,000 barrels of oil a day, by the end of this decade. A big part of that gain will come from its Kearl oil sands project in Alberta. Kearl, which just started up, adds 78,100 barrels to the company’s daily output. Phase 2 will add another 78,100 barrels in 2015. Oil sands …read more »
TRANSCANADA CORP. $46.23 (Toronto symbol TRP; Shares outstanding: 707.0 million; Market cap: $33.5 billion; TSINetwork Rating: Above Average; Dividend yield: 4.0%; www.transcanada.com) plans to build a new 200-kilometre crude oil pipeline that will connect Edmonton to the storage hub at Hardisty, Alberta. From there, TransCanada will pump the oil to refineries in the U.S. Midwest through its Keystone pipeline (and …read more »
The price of natural gas has more than doubled in the past year, but prices of natural gas stocks have not kept pace. Maybe that’s because investors take it for granted that winters will remain warm due to global warming. But if that’s how things turn out, rising temperatures will increase demand for air conditioning, which of course runs on …read more »
BELLATRIX EXPLORATION $5.93 (Toronto symbol BXE; TSINetwork Rating: Speculative) (403-266-8670; www.bellatrixexploration- .com; Shares outstanding: 107.9 million; Market cap: $639.8 million; No dividends paid) produces natural gas (70% of output) and oil (30%) in Alberta, B.C. and Saskatchewan. In the three months ended December 31, 2012, Bellatrix’s production rose 32.1%, to 18,763 barrels of oil equivalent per day (including gas) from …read more »
WAJAX CORP. $35.88 (Toronto symbol WJX; TSINetwork Rating: Extra Risk) (905-212-3300; www.wajax.ca; Shares outstanding:16.7 million; Market cap: $599.2 million; Dividend yield: 9.0%) sells and services heavy equipment, including cranes and forklifts. It also sells related parts (such as bearings, motors, hoses and fittings) and power systems (including diesel engines and transmissions). Wajax operates through 128 dealerships across Canada. Its customers …read more »
BIRCHCLIFF ENERGY $7.96 (Toronto symbol BIR; TSINetwork Rating: Speculative) (403-261-6401; www.birchcliffenergy. com; Units outstanding: 141.8 million; Market cap: $1.1 billion; No dividends paid) produced an average of 26,655 barrels of oil equivalent a day (82% natural gas and 18% oil) in the quarter ended December 31, 2013. That was up 34.5% from 19,812 barrels a year earlier. The production increase …read more »
Oil prices will likely stay volatile, particularly as slowing Asian economies cut their consumption. We feel the best way for investors to lower their risk is to stick with well-established producers like these two. Both have high-quality reserves that should last decades.
CHEVRON CORP. $112 (New York symbol CVX; Conservative Growth Portfolio, Resources sector; Shares outstanding: 2.0 billion; Market …read more »
BIRCHCLIFF ENERGY $7.00 (Toronto symbol BIR; TSINetwork Rating: Speculative) (403-261-6401; www.birchcliffenergy.com; Units outstanding: 141.4 million; Market cap: $989.8 million; No dividends paid) develops, produces and explores for oil and natural gas, mainly in the Peace River Arch area near the Alberta/B.C. border. About 75% of Birchcliff’s production is natural gas. The remaining 25% is oil.
Prominent Toronto investor Seymour Schulich is …read more »
ENBRIDGE INC. $39 (Toronto symbol ENB; Conservative Growth Portfolio, Utilities sector; Shares outstanding: 797.0 million; Market cap: $31.1 billion; Price-to-sales ratio: 1.4; Dividend yield: 2.9%; TSINetwork Rating: Above Average; www.enbridge.com) recently repaired a leaking oil pipeline in Wisconsin.
The company has faced criticism over leaks like this. That could hurt its proposed $5.5-billion Northern Gateway project, which would pump …read more »