In Canada, capital gains are taxed at a lower rate than interest. You can take advantage of that — and substantially cut your tax bill — if you structure your investments so that more of your income is in the form of capital gains.
(Our free report, “Capital Gains Canada: 7 Secrets for Managing Your Canadian Capital Gains Tax Liabilities,” contains …read more »
Members of Pat McKeough’s Inner Circle enjoy a double benefit when it comes to taking advantage of our investment research. They get to address investment questions directly to me and my research associates; AND they get to see all other members’ questions, and our answers (of course, we eliminate any personal information).
Aside from specific investments (such as U.S. and …read more »
The investment industry has created all sorts of exchange-traded funds (ETFs) in recent years. However, quality varies. All too many exist to tap into popular, but risky, themes and fads, so you need to be highly selective with your ETF holdings.
ETFs offer very low management fees. In addition to low fees, the best ETFs offer well-diversified, tax-efficient portfolios of high-quality …read more »
With interest rates still near historic lows, borrowing money to invest continues to look like an attractive portfolio investing strategy.
Today, you can borrow for as little as 3.5% if you use your home as collateral. Over long periods, the total return on a well-diversified portfolio of high-quality stocks runs to as much as 10%, or around 7.5% after inflation. So …read more »
VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC. $29 (New York symbol VZ, Conservative Growth Portfolio, Utilities sector; Shares outstanding: 2.8 billion; Market cap: $81.2 billion; Price-to-sales ratio: 0.8; Dividend yield: 6.6%; WSSF Rating: Average) owns 55% of Verizon Wireless, which is the largest wireless provider in the U.S.; U.K.-based Vodafone plc owns the other 45%. This business has 92.1 million customers in 50 states, …read more »
Here are three easy-to-avoid errors that most investors make when investing money in the stock market. All three can seriously hinder your portfolio’s long-term results.
1. Taking an overly optimistic view of speculative investments: Some investors generally put too high a value on speculative ventures. They want to believe that innovations will succeed, and that they’ll get a fair chance to …read more »
In response to the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, the Obama administration has banned some offshore operations in the region. The ban, which is being challenged in court, affects oil and gas companies and firms that operate, service and supply drilling rigs. To cut your risk, we recommend focusing on service companies that mainly operate onshore, like …read more »
CGI GROUP INC. $16 (Toronto symbol GIB.A; Aggressive Growth Portfolio, Manufacturing & Industry sector; Shares outstanding: 285.6 million; Market cap: $4.6 billion; Price-to-sales ratio: 1.3; No dividends paid; SI Rating: Extra Risk) continues to win new computer-outsourcing contracts.
For example, the company recently signed a seven-year deal with Ontario’s Beer Store retail chain. Under the contract, CGI will help The Beer …read more »
One of our Successful Investor Wealth Management clients recently turned 70, and he wonders what effect this should have on his portfolio management. He now has 85% of his portfolio in stocks, 15% in short-term T-bills and zero in long-term bonds and other long-term fixed-return investments.
This Successful Investor Wealth Management client has a pension that provides most of the …read more »
Investor Toolkit: Knowing how to read between the lines of a corporate earnings statement can help you find winning stock picks
Every Wednesday, we publish our “Investor Toolkit” series on TSI Network. Whether you’re a new or experienced investor, these weekly updates are designed to give you specific advice on the fundamentals of successful investing. Each Investor Toolkit update gives you a fundamental tip and shows you how you can use it to increase your chances of making winning stock picks. …read more »