Topic: Growth Stocks

Stock Pickers Digest Hotline – Friday, August 12, 2011

Article Excerpt

CALIAN TECHNOLOGIES, $19.10, symbol CTY on Toronto, operates in two areas: the business and technology services division, which accounts for 74% of Calian’s revenue, provides engineers, health-care workers and other professionals to clients on a contract basis. The systems-engineering division contributes the remaining 26% of revenue, and sells hardware and software that is used for testing, operating and managing satellite and other communication systems. In the three months ended June 30, 2011, Calian’s revenue rose 1.7%, to $58.5 million from $57.6 million a year earlier. However, earnings fell 10.2%, to $3.5 million or $0.45 a share, from $3.8 million or $0.49 a share. This was mostly due to a slowdown in government contracts during the spring federal election campaign, and the higher Canadian dollar. The company holds cash of $24.2 million, or $3.10 a share, and has no debt. Calian pays dividends at annual rate of $1.00 a share. That gives the shares a 5.2% yield. Calian Technologies is still a..

You are trying to access subscriber-only content.

To read this article, you may subscribe or sign in.
If you are already a subscriber, log in here.

If you wish to become a subscriber, click here. Or you may enjoy access to all our publications when you become a Member of Pat McKeough's Inner Circle.