The Growing Power of Dividends

Learn everything you need to know in '7 Winning Strategies for Dividend Investors' for FREE from The Successful Investor.

The Best Canadian Dividend Stocks to Buy: REITS Canada and other Top Canadian Dividend Stocks.

Topic: Dividend Stocks

TransCanada Corp. $35 – Toronto symbol TRP

TRANSCANADA CORP. $35 (Toronto symbol TRP; Conservative Growth Portfolio, Utilities sector; SI Rating: Above average) operates a 41,000-km pipeline network that transports natural gas from Alberta to central Canada and the United States. This business supplies 60% of its profit. The remaining 40% comes from its energy division, which owns or operates 23 electrical power plants.

The company has increased its dividend every year since 2000. The current annual rate of $1.28 yields 3.7%.

In the second quarter ended June 30, 2006, TransCanada’s earnings from continuing operations grew 22.0%, to $0.50 a share (total $244 million) from $0.41 a share ($200 million) a year earlier.

The latest quarterly earnings included a $13 million gain on the sale of an investment. Cash flow per share rose 7.9%, to $1.10 from $1.02, while revenue grew 17.2%, to $1.7 billion from $1.45 billion.

Much of TransCanada’s recent growth has come from its power business. Thanks mainly to acquisitions and rising power rates, second quarter profits at the power division rose 137% from the year-earlier quarter. That helped offset an 11% drop in profits at the pipeline unit.

TransCanada now hopes to spur long-term growth in its pipeline businesses with several new projects, including the $2.1 billion U.S. Keystone pipeline. This project will transport crude oil from Alberta’s oil sands region to refineries in the U.S. Midwest.

Other big projects include a liquefied natural gas terminal in Quebec, and a new $181 million U.S. gas pipeline in Mexico.

Consequently, capital spending in 2006 will probably rise to $1.70 a share, up 9.7% from $1.55 in 2005.

The company should generate cash flow of around $4.10 a share in 2006, so it can easily afford these outlays. Long-term debt is 1.6 times equity, up from 1.5 times in 2005. That’s high, but still manageable.

The stock rose to $38 in December 2005, but moved down as warmer-than-usual winter weather cut demand for gas. It now trades at 18.5 times its projected 2006 profit of $1.89 a share.

TransCanada is a buy.

Comments are closed.