BlueSky helps brighten the outlook for communications giant

BlueSky helps brighten the outlook for communications giant

In response to a request from an Inner Circle Member, Pat McKeough recently discussed one of Shaw Communications. In an industry in transition, Shaw made a major wireless acquisition in 2015 and has enhanced its Internet and television offerings, which has helped to keep revenues… Read More

Q: Pat, I have owned Shaw Communications for a number of years and have benefitted from a steady dividend payment. It seems to me though, that competitive risks are increasing for this company. What is your opinion of this company as an investment? Thank you.

A: Shaw Communications, $28.73, symbol SJR.B on Toronto (Shares outstanding: 487.6 million; Market cap: $14.0 billion; www.shaw.ca), is one of the largest cable-television operators in Canada. It’s also a provider of satellite TV, high-speed Internet, and telephone services.
Shaw entered the data-centre business through the acquisition… Read More

A Yield to Caution

CORUS ENTERTAINMENT INC. $11 (Toronto symbol CJR.B; Shares outstanding: 193.0 million; Market cap: $2.1 billion; Dividend yield: 10.5%; www.corusent.com) is focused on TV broadcasting and content after its April 2016 acquisition of Shaw Media for $2.65 billion.

Corus now owns 45 specialty TV channels, 15 conventional… Read More

Blue Chip Stocks: Network upgrades hike BCE earnings

BCE Inc. continues to benefit from upgrades to its wireless, Internet and TV networks. These improvements have helped it attract new customers and increase its revenue, earnings and dividend.

BCE INC.(Toronto symbol BCE; www.bce.ca) is Canada’s largest telephone provider, with 6.7 million… Read More

BCE INC. $58

BCE INC. $58 (Toronto symbol BCE; Conservative Growth and Income Portfolios, Utilities sector; Shares outstanding: 865.6 million; Market cap: $49.7 billion; Price-to-sales ratio: 2.3; Dividend yield: 4.7%; TSINetwork Rating: Above Average; www.bce.ca) is Canada’s largest telephone provider, with 6.7 million customers in Ontario, Quebec and… Read More

A good pick for rattled investors

BCE has outperformed the market during the current downturn: the stock has gained 7.9% since the start of 2016, compared to a 6.3% decline in the S&P/TSX Composite Index.

The company continues to benefit from upgrades to its wireless and fibre-optic Internet and TV networks… Read More

The Successful Investor Hotline – Friday, November 27, 2015

MANITOBA TELECOM SERVICES INC., $30.24, Toronto symbol MBT, has agreed to sell its Allstream division, which sells telephone, Internet and other communication services to businesses across Canada.

Allstream supplies 40% of Manitoba Telecom’s revenue. The remaining 60% comes from its MTS division, which has 1.3… Read More