Stock Pickers Digest Hotline – Friday, July 11, 2014

ALIMENTATION COUCHE-TARD, $29.34, symbol ATD.B on Toronto, has reported higher sales and earnings in the latest quarter, as well as a dividend increase.

In the three months ended April 27, 2014, Couche-Tard’s sales rose 2.0%, to $9.0 billion from $8.8 billion a year earlier. Excluding one-time… Read More

2 Canadian energy stocks willing to spend big for big growth

BIRCHCLIFF ENERGY (Toronto symbol BIR; www.birchcliffenergy.com) develops, produces and explores for oil and natural gas, mainly in the Peace River Arch area near the Alberta/B.C. border. About 81% of its output is gas. The remaining 19% is oil.

In the three months ended December 31, 2013,… Read More

Birchcliff is the better choice right now

BIRCHCLIFF ENERGY $10.35 (Toronto symbol BIR; TSINetwork Rating: Speculative) (403-261-6401; www.birchcliffenergy.com; Units outstanding: 144.0 million; Market cap: $1.5 billion; No dividends paid) develops, produces and explores for oil and natural gas, mainly in the Peace River Arch area near the Alberta/B.C. border. About 81% of… Read More

ZARGON OIL & GAS $8.61 – Toronto symbol ZAR

ZARGON OIL & GAS $8.61 (Toronto symbol ZAR; TSINetwork Rating: Speculative) (403-264-9992; www.zargon.ca; Shares outstanding: 30.1 million; Market cap: $259.1 million; Dividend yield: 8.4%) produces natural gas and oil in Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and North Dakota. Its production is 64% oil and 36% gas.

In the… Read More

Two Canadian energy stocks tackle big growth projects

BELLATRIX EXPLORATION (Toronto symbol BXE; www.bellatrixexploration.com) produces natural gas (70% of output) and oil (30%) in Alberta, B.C. and Saskatchewan.

Bellatrix closed its $756-million cash-and-stock purchase of Angle Energy in early December 2013. The deal added 500 drilling targets to Bellatrix’s inventory, bringing its total to… Read More

Buy Bellatrix, hold on to Zargon

BELLATRIX EXPLORATION $8.59 (Toronto symbol BXE; TSINetwork Rating: Speculative) (403-266- 8670; www.bellatrixexploration.com; Shares outstanding: 170.5 million; Market cap: $1.5 billion; No dividends paid) produces natural gas (70% of output) and oil (30%) in Alberta, B.C. and Saskatchewan. Bellatrix closed its $756-million cash-and-stock purchase of Angle… Read More

ZARGON OIL & GAS $8.36 – Toronto symbol ZAR

ZARGON OIL & GAS $8.36 (Toronto symbol ZAR; TSINetwork Rating: Speculative) (403-264-9992; www.zargon.ca; Shares outstanding: 30.1 million; Market cap: $246.7 million; Dividend yield: 8.6%) produces natural gas and oil in Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and North Dakota. Its production is 64% oil and 36% gas.

In the… Read More

Stock Pickers Digest Hotline – Friday, November 29, 2013

ALIMENTATION COUCHE-TARD, $77.60, symbol ATD.B on Toronto, rose over 6% this week after reporting its latest quarterly earnings.

In the three months ended October 13, 2013, the company’s sales fell 3.0%, to $9.0 billion from $9.3 billion a year earlier (all figures except share price in… Read More

Stock Pickers Digest Hotline – Friday, June 7, 2013

WESTJET AIRLINES LTD., $21.70, symbol WJA on Toronto, reports that its load factor fell slightly in May 2013, to 78.5% from 79.2% a year earlier. Load factor is the percentage of available seats that are occupied by paying passengers.

However, the decline was only slight, even… Read More