This Portfolios addition gains from VoIP

Article Excerpt

Some investors fear that Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) will be the death of companies like Verizon, because it lets phone calls bypass the phone companies and travel over the Internet. We doubt that, since established phone companies are bundling services and taking other steps to maintain their profits. However, some companies are sure to profit from VoIP. Avaya is likely to be one of them. That’s why we are adding it to our WSSF Portfolio for Aggressive Growth. AVAYA INC. $10 (New York symbol AV; WSSF Rating: Average) makes telecommunications equipment that helps over one million businesses and government agencies manage their phone and data networks. Avaya was a division of Lucent Technologies Inc. until September 30, 2000, when Lucent handed out its Avaya shares to its investors. Selling equipment accounts for about 47% of Avaya’s total revenue. The remaining 53% comes from equipment rentals, plus maintenance and other services. Overseas markets account for 40% of its revenue. The company’s expertise with traditional…

You are trying to access subscriber-only content.

To read this article, you may subscribe or sign in.
If you are already a subscriber, log in here.

If you wish to become a subscriber, click here. Or you may enjoy access to all our publications when you become a Member of Pat McKeough's Inner Circle Pro.