Topic: How To Invest

Stock Pickers Digest Hotline – Friday, September 7, 2018

Article Excerpt

NORTH WEST COMPANY, $29.47, symbol NWC on Toronto, sells food and everyday products and services through 237 stores. Those locations are mainly in northern communities across Canada and Alaska. The company also operates in remote regions of Hawaii, the South Pacific and the Caribbean. North West gets about 60% of its revenue from this country. The remaining 40% of sales comes from 33 stores in Alaska and 13 Cost-U-Less warehouse outlets. The Cost-U-Less stores are in remote island communities across the South Pacific and the Caribbean. In the quarter ended July 31, 2018, overall sales fell 2.2%, to $503.8 million from $515.2 million a year earlier. Store closures related to hurricanes in the Caribbean cut sales by $23.0 million and contributed to the decline. Excluding one-time items, earnings fell 19.9%, to $18.6 million, or $0.37 a share, from $23.3 million, or $0.47. The drop came from the lower sales and hurricane-related costs. As well, the latest results included a $6.5 million accounting adjustment…

You are trying to access subscriber-only content.

To read this article, you may subscribe or sign in.
If you are already a subscriber, log in here.

If you wish to become a subscriber, click here. Or you may enjoy access to all our publications when you become a Member of Pat McKeough's Inner Circle Pro.