Teaming up to unlock value

Article Excerpt

RIOCAN REIT $28.76 (Toronto symbol REI.UN; Units outstanding: 313.9 million; Market cap: $9.2 billion; TSINetwork Rating: Average; Dividend yield: 4.9%; www.riocan.com) has agreed to form a new joint venture with Hudson’s Bay Co. (Toronto symbol HBC). The REIT will contribute $325 million to this new firm, consisting of 50% of two shopping malls in Oakville and Barrie, Ontario, $52.5 million of property upgrades and $128.1 million in cash. Hudson’s Bay will contribute 10 owned or leased stores in major Canadian cities. RioCan will own 20.2% of this new business, while Hudson’s Bay will hold the remaining 79.8%. The partners will likely sell shares in the new company to the public, which would help unlock the value of these properties. RioCan is a buy. buy. …

You are trying to access subscriber-only content.

To read this article, you may subscribe or sign in.
If you are already a subscriber, log in here.

If you wish to become a subscriber, click here. Or you may enjoy access to all our publications when you become a Member of Pat McKeough's Inner Circle Pro.