Here’s Another Takeover!

Article Excerpt

We’ve had a lot of takeovers among our trust recommendations lately, including Primewest Energy, Legacy REIT, Shiningbank Energy and Summit REIT. Here’s another: TRANSALTA POWER, L.P. $8.38 (Toronto symbol TPW.UN; SI Rating: Extra risk) is now the subject of a friendly $8.38 per unit takeover offer from Hong Kong-based Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Limited. TransAlta Corp. has no direct interest in TransAlta Power. However, TransAlta Power owns 49.99% of five gas-fired power plants in Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta. TransAlta owns the remaining 50.01%, and runs the plants. The takeover offer is still positive news for TransAlta Corp., since TransAlta Power’s new owner may eventually offer to buy TransAlta’s controlling stake in these plants. TransAlta Power’s board has recommended acceptance of Cheung Kong’s offer. The units are trading at the offering price, so it’s unlikely a competing bid will emerge. TransAlta unitholders should tender to Cheung Kong’s offer. offer…

You are trying to access subscriber-only content.

To read this article, you may subscribe or sign in.
If you are already a subscriber, log in here.

If you wish to become a subscriber, click here. Or you may enjoy access to all our publications when you become a Member of Pat McKeough's Inner Circle Pro.