Enjoy a 4.9% yield from H&R REIT

Enjoy a 4.9% yield from H&R REIT

Spinoffs tend to work out well as investors generally prefer “pure-play” companies that focus on a single business.

This REIT’s retail property spinoff has enhanced its appeal. In addition, the spinoff has let the REIT raise its monthly dividend payment.

How Successful Investors Get RICH

Learn everything you need to know in 'The Canadian Guide on How to Invest in Stocks Successfully' for FREE from The Successful Investor.

How to Invest In Stocks Guide: Find 10 factors that make your investments safer and stronger.


H&R REIT (Toronto symbol HR.UN; www.hr-reit.com)… Read More

We see one of these new ETFs as a buy

This month we highlight both a copper exchange traded fund from Horizons and a high-income ETF from Harvest Portfolio Group.
HORIZONS COPPER PRODUCERS INDEX ETF $20.20 (Toronto symbol COPP) aims to track the Solactive North American Listed Copper Producers Index. This index invests in copper mining firms that are… Read More

Focus on high yields that are sustainable

High-yielding ETFs have appeal for income-seeking investors. The income they provide can also provide a buffer in declining markets. However, you need to look closely at the strategies that let those ETFs pay their high yields—and whether they are worth the risks.
Below we look at… Read More

Q: Hi, Pat and team, what are your thoughts on Whitecap Resources (TSX:WCP)? They seem to check a lot of boxes for me in the small-cap energy sector. I know you warn of risks of growth by acquisition. What’s your take? Cheers!

A: Whitecap Resources Inc., $9.51, symbol WCP on Toronto (Shares outstanding: 626.3 million; Market cap: $6.1 billion; www.wcap.ca), produces and explores for oil and natural gas in Western Canada. Oil makes up 74% of its daily output; the remaining 26% is gas.

In the three months… Read More

Two new ETFs for Canadian investors

This month, we highlight two actively managed ETFs from Middlefield Group that were recently converted from closed-end funds.
MIDDLEFIELD INNOVATION DIVIDEND ETF $11.43 (Toronto symbol MINN) invests in companies that derive a major portion of their revenue from products or services related to major technological innovations.
The ETF is actively… Read More

A Yield to Caution

EXCHANGE INCOME CORP. $41 (Toronto symbol EIF; Shares outstanding: 38.8 million; Market cap: $1.6 billion; Dividend yield: 5.6%; www.exchangeincomecorp.ca) operates in aviation and manufacturing.
Aviation (65% of its revenue) serves communities in Manitoba, Ontario, Nunavut and eastern Canada through regional airlines. As well, through Regional One, it supplies… Read More

Pembina keeps rewarding investors

Pipeline operator Pembina continues to rebound from its March 2020 low of $15.27 as the economy re-opens following COVID-19 shutdowns. Despite the pandemic, the company held its dividend.
As well, a new deal to sell 40% of its Western Canadian gas processing to U.S.-based private equity… Read More