Updating Indigo, Tim Hortons, Pengrowth and Linamar

INDIGO BOOKS & MUSIC INC. $15 (www.chapters.indigo.ca) continues to see strong demand for its Kobo e-book downloading service. During the 2010 Christmas shopping season, the company’s e-book sales were 50 times higher than a year earlier. Kobo now has customers in over 130 countries. Hold… Read More

Pengrowth set to convert

PENGROWTH ENERGY TRUST $12.96 (Toronto symbol PGF.UN; Units outstanding: 320.1 million; Market cap: $4.1 billion; TSINetwork Rating: Average; Divid. yield: 6.5%; www.pengrowth.com) will convert to a dividend-paying corporation on January 17, 2011. It will then trade as Pengrowth Energy Corporation under the symbol “PGH”.

Pengrowth has… Read More

Updates on IMPERIAL OIL, BCE INC. and PENGROWTH ENERGY TRUST

IMPERIAL OIL $37.45 (Toronto symbol IMO; Shares outstanding: 847.6 million; Market cap: $31.7 billion; TSINetwork Rating: Average; Dividend yield: 1.2%; www.imperialoil.com) owns 70% of the massive Kearl oil-sands project in Alberta. Imperial’s parent company, ExxonMobil Corp. owns the remaining 30%.

It will cost a total of… Read More

Post-conversion yields should hold steady

PENGROWTH ENERGY TRUST $12.42 (Toronto symbol PGF.UN; Units outstanding: 320.1 million; Market cap: $4.0 billion; SI Rating: Average; Dividend yield: 6.8%; www.pengrowth.com) produces oil and natural gas in western Canada and off the Nova Scotia coast. Its production is weighted 51% to oil and 49%… Read More

The Successful Investor Hotline – Friday, October 22, 2010

ENCANA CORP., $28.26, Toronto symbol ECA, fell 7% this week after the company reported lower-than-expected earnings.

In the three months ended September 30, 2010, Encana earned $98 million, or $0.13 a share (all amounts except share price in U.S. dollars). These figures exclude a $331-million… Read More

This royalty trust’s payout should stay high

On January 1, 2011, Ottawa will impose a tax on distributions of income trusts and royalty trusts. (Royalty trusts are a form of income trust. They profit from royalties associated with the sale of oil, natural gas or minerals.) The new tax will put income… Read More

Steady production supports high payout

PENGROWTH ENERGY TRUST $11 (Toronto symbol PGF.UN; Aggressive Growth Portfolio, Resources sector; Units outstanding: 291.3 million; Market cap: $3.2 billion; Price-to-sales ratio: 2.1; Dividend yield: 7.6%; SI Rating: Average) is one of North America’s largest energy royalty trusts. Its main properties are in Alberta, B.C…. Read More

Good addition for Pengrowth

PENGROWTH ENERGY TRUST $9.97 (Toronto symbol PGF.UN; Units outstanding: 291.3 million; Market cap: $2.9 billion; SI Rating: Average; Dividend yield: 8.4%) has agreed to buy the 82% of Monterey Exploration (Toronto symbol MXL) that it doesn’t already own for $366 million in Pengrowth units.

Monterey produces… Read More

The Successful Investor Hotline – Friday, July 16, 2010

PENGROWTH ENERGY TRUST, $9.76, Toronto symbol PGF.UN, has agreed to buy the 82% of Monterey Exploration Ltd. (Toronto symbol MXL) that it doesn’t already own. The deal should close in September 2010.

Monterey produces oil and natural gas at properties in Alberta and British Columbia. Pengrowth… Read More

Pengrowth and ARC target steady payouts

ARC ENERGY TRUST $19.86 (Toronto symbol AET.UN; Units outstanding: 250.9 million; Market cap: $5.0 billion; SI Rating: Speculative; Dividend yield: 6.0%) produces oil and natural gas in western Canada. Its average daily production of 67,207 barrels of oil equivalent (including gas) is weighted 46% to… Read More