Q: Pat, could I get your recommendation on the BMO Canadian High Dividend Covered Call ETF (TSX: ZWC)? Thanks.

A: BMO Canadian High Dividend Covered Call ETF, $18.36, symbol ZWC on Toronto (Units outstanding: 21.1 million; Market cap: $387.4 million; www.bmo.com/gam/ca/investor/products/etfs), focuses on mostly high-quality Canadian stocks. Its top holdings are BCE at 4.2%; Pembina Pipeline, 4.0%; CIBC, 3.8%; Enbridge, 3.7%; Nutrien, 3.6%; Telus… Read More

5 top Canadian dividend stocks to invest in

5 top Canadian dividend stocks to invest in

Here are 5 Canadian dividend stocks we recommend holding in your portfolio
One of the key points in our three-part investment advice is to invest mainly in well-established dividend-paying stocks. Successful investors pay a lot of attention to dividend yields from Canadian dividend stocks. Dividends can… Read More

Look beyond their latest quarterly results

All four of these power and gas utilities reported lower earnings for the second quarter of 2018. Moreover, rising interest rates have hurt their appeal among income-seeking investors. Higher rates will also increase their borrowing costs as they raise funds for new projects.
Even so, most… Read More

Blue chip ETFs focus on Canada

Blue chip ETFs focus on Canada

These two blue chip ETFs hold mostly large-capitalization, widely traded stocks on the Canadian exchange. Both mirror, or track, the performance of major stock market indexes as opposed to narrower ones focused on resources or themes, such as solar power or biotech.

Blue chip ETFs… Read More

Updating Emera Inc.

EMERA INC. $42 (Toronto symbol EMA; Income-Growth Payer Portfolio, Utilities sector; Shares outstanding: 227.8 million; Market cap: $9.6 billion; Dividend yield: 5.4%; Dividend Sustainability Rating: Highest; www.emera.com) owns 100% of Nova Scotia Power, that province’s main electricity supplier. This business supplies 20% of Emera’s earnings. The remaining 80%… Read More

Utilities still appealing despite rising rates

Share prices for these four power producers have dropped recently. That’s mainly because rising interest rates have increased the appeal of bonds for income-seeking investors. As well, higher interest rates will make it more expensive for utilities to refinance their own outstanding bonds.
However, all four… Read More