The Growing Power of Dividends

Learn everything you need to know in '7 Winning Strategies for Dividend Investors' for FREE from The Successful Investor.

The Best Canadian Dividend Stocks to Buy: REITS Canada and other Top Canadian Dividend Stocks.

Topic: Dividend Stocks

ATCO LTD. – Toronto symbols ACO.X and ACO.Y

ATCO LTD. (Toronto symbols ACO.X [class I non-voting] $58 and ACO.Y [class II voting] $58; Income Portfolio, Utilities sector; Shares outstanding: 58.2 million; Market cap: $3.4 billion; Price-to-sales ratio: 1.0; Dividend yield: 2.2%; TSINetwork Rating: Above Average; is a holding company. Its main subsidiary is 52.8%-owned Canadian Utilities.

ATCO has three main divisions: Utilities (which distributes electricity and natural gas); Energy (which operates power plants); and Structures & Logistics (which sells services to construction companies and firms that explore for oil and natural gas). ATCO owns 75.5% of the Structures & Logistics division; Canadian Utilities owns the remaining 24.5%.

The company recently created a fourth division, ATCO Australia, which will manage its Australian operations, including three power plants.

In 2010, ATCO earned $296.0 million. That’s up 6.3% from $278.4 million in 2009. Earnings per share rose 5.8%, to $5.09 from $4.81, on more shares outstanding. These figures exclude one-time items, such as losses on hedging contracts. Revenue rose 10.8%, to $3.4 billion from $3.1 billion.

Based on current prices, you can buy a share of ATCO for $58, and get roughly $60 worth of Canadian Utilities. That means you get ATCO’s non-utility businesses for free.

This “holding-company discount” is why ATCO trades at just 9.8 times the $5.39 a share it will probably earn in 2011.

ATCO’s lower dividend yield, compared to Canadian Utilities, has also depressed its p/e ratio. However, ATCO could unlock some of its value by spinning off some of its businesses as separate companies.

ATCO is a buy. The cheaper, more liquid class I non-voting shares are the better choice.


Tell Us What YOU Think

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Please be respectful with your comments and help us keep this an area that everyone can enjoy. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Terms of Use, please click here to report it to the administrator.